Tuesday, June 4, 2013

This is better than you realize


This week a friend and I are writing Psalm 23 as though it were written from the Lord to us (which of course it is, but we are switching the vantage point). This is for the sake of deeper meditation and deeper personalization--to plumb more deeply what is being said and that it is being said to us.

After a few miscues with my erratic fountain pen, I was able to pen my version.

Because of the familiarity of this Psalm, I won't enter it here. You can click on the link above and it will magically open in a new window using technology, electricity and the "world wide web". 

Enjoy!



Matt, I will shepherd you, protect and provide for you, lead and accompany you; I am your shepherd! This is how I have chosen to define myself and our relationship. So be calm; calm down and trust in me from the heart. I know exactly what you need, and I will not withhold a single thing.
When you need to be lying down in soft, green pastures, I will make that happen. Don't resist those times--just lie down, cool down and rest. I will bring you to still, clean waters and, when I do, drink up!  
In case you are missing the images here, I'm talking about restoring your soul. Do you believe I want your soul restored? That I insist on it? It's true. Don't be contented with less.
Down the exact right path I am leading you. This is for my name's sake, but isn't it wonderful that I have so inextricably woven together my glory and your good? I choose to be known by the condition of my flock; I will be glorified in your well-being. But know that these right paths are oftentimes not the paths you would have chosen. They are right and good, but not always easy.
I will periodically lead you through the valley of the shadow of death, and yes it is a very dark and scary place. This world is always meandering in and out of this place. Mind you it is only the shadow of death--death's sting has been removed. However, even passing through this valley will feel like dying. I am using these times to put to death certain things in you.
And there may be evil all around you, but do not fear it. I will only always use it as an instrument in your life. Of course evil is always evil and intends evil results; at times it will appear triumphant to you and to those perpetrating evil against you--really to everyone! Even (especially) then ... do not be afraid, because I am still with you. Look at my rod, look at my staff and let them comfort you. I know how to use them and will not hesitate to do so. I am your protector, remember?
This is so much the case that I will prepare for you a table in the midst of your enemies! You can just sit down and eat, even though they are right there! Why? Because I am right here! They can't do anything to you. Eat up! Sometimes I'm doing this just so you will have to do something crazy like eat a meal right in front of those who mean you harm. If you can do this then you are really trusting me. If you can do this, people will shake their heads and think, "Where is this confidence coming from?"
Your head will be anointed with oil; a sign of joy and that all is well. Your cup will actually be overflowing! (Be honest, you thought you'd be nursing the stingy cup I'd pour for you. Nope.) Most might look at your circumstances and conclude that you'd have little to give, but here you are overflowing toward the world around you. Again, they'll have no explanation.
Be assured, Matt, be assured that my goodness and my mercy will follow you all the days of your life. Wake up each morning assured of that. Go to bed each night assured of that. Every. Single. Day. Of. Your. Life!
See I know you wake up fretting about that, but just take a moment to assure yourself that it's true. Over time it will become second nature. Over time is will become the thing you most take as a given. 
Now here's the coolest part: you will dwell in my house forever, Matt! What makes my house my house? Me! What I'm saying is wherever you go I will be with you and you with me. This is never going to end and it's going on right now. 
This is better than you realize!
  

2 comments:

J said...

Thanks for sharing. I am now going to do this with a friend too.

Anonymous said...

That's great! What an enriching exercise, especially in the context of relationship!